Easy Yogurt Overnight Oats

Easy Yogurt Overnight Oats

As an early (not by choice) riser, I’m a big believer in having a good breakfast to start my day. As much as I would love to have a proper sit down breakfast each morning, I’m usually strapped for time. Once I get up, shower, get dressed, pack my lunch and make sure I have everything ready for the day (such as my gym bag for days I hit the gym after work), I usually only have about 10 minutes to make/eat my breakfast and enjoy a cup of coffee before I catch my 7:03am bus (ugh) to the subway station.

Since my morning time is so limited, I’m also a big believer in getting as much ready as I can the night before. I usually get my lunch ready while I’m making supper and I try to pack my gym bag while I’m brushing my teeth. Now that the weather is starting to warm up, I’ve started to re-introduce yogurt overnight oats into my breakfast routine. This saves even more time because all the prep happens the night before and I get to wake up to ready-made, cold and creamy oats that I can decorate with different nuts, fruit and spices. The great thing is that overnight oats are super portable and on days where I’m really running late, they can be made in a mason jar or portable Tupperware container and thrown in my bag with a spoon. A nice, healthy, and cheaper alternative to waiting in line at Tim Horton’s every morning!

Easy Yogurt Overnight Oats

Right now, my favourite toppings for overnight oats are strawberries, chia seeds and a quick dash of cinnamon, but I’m sure this will change when more fruit is in season.

Easy Yogurt Overnight Oats 1 serving

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 6 - 8 hours - (Overnight in Fridge)

• 1/2 cup old-fashioned or rolled oats, uncooked
  • 100 gram yogurt cup, any flavour
  • 3 tbsp milk

Suggested Toppings

• fresh fruit
  • chia seeds
  • chopped nuts
  • cinnamon

1. In a small bowl, Tupperware container or mason jar, stir together uncooked old-fashioned or rolled oats, yogurt, milk and optional chia seeds. Cover and place in your fridge for a minimum of 6 hours to let the oats soak up some of the liquid.
  2. Remove from fridge and add desired fruit, nuts and spices. If the oats are too thick for your liking, feel free to add an extra tablespoon of milk.

Easy Yogurt Overnight Oats

Pin It

44 Responses to “Easy Yogurt Overnight Oats”

1. #
    Jennifer — April 28, 2014 at 5:29 pm

I read this post while I was eating peanut butter & banana VOO, lol. It’s that time of year! So Delicious coconut yoghurt is really good in overnight oats.

2. #
    Elaine C — December 4, 2014 at 11:35 pm

is it absolutely necessary to add the milk? i don’t tolerate milk, but i want to try this with lactose free yogurt! would it just be thicker consistency? thanks in advance!

• Jessica replied: — December 6th, 2014 @ 11:25 am

The milk isn’t necessary, but the oats will be thicker if you just use yogurt. To thin it out, I would add a tablespoon of water.

3. #
    Melissa — December 5, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I’m sure soy milk or lactose free milk will be fine.

4. #
    Ysay — December 6, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Do you need to cook the oats? Or you just put them in uncooked?

• Jessica replied: — December 6th, 2014 @ 9:27 pm

The oats need to be uncooked and they will soften overnight. I fixed this in the recipe. :)

5. #
    Riddly — December 7, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Traditional Swiss way (I’m told) soak the oats in a little water, you can mix in typical muesli ingredients too… Then layer with the youghurt and a big spoonful of toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds- drizzle of honey and no hunger pangs for four hours or so……

6. #
    Gin — December 8, 2014 at 4:56 am

Would greek yogurt be just as good? Have you tried this?

• Jessica replied: — December 8th, 2014 @ 1:54 pm

Hi Gin! I have tried greek yogurt with great success. The end result will be thicker than using regular yogurt, so I recommend stirring in extra milk before letting the oats sit overnight.

7. #
    Yune — December 8, 2014 at 5:44 pm

OMG! You have no idea how much I love this. Like you my mornings are very limited, but I also like to save money by no eating greasy unhleathy food in the street. Please share more things like this! ;D

• Jessica replied: — December 16th, 2014 @ 10:13 pm

Glad you like the recipe! :)

8. #
    Yen — December 28, 2014 at 7:11 am

Can we prepare few of these and keep in the fridge for more than one night? Thks.

• Jessica replied: — December 28th, 2014 @ 4:55 pm

Of course, what a great idea!

9. #
    Dawn Crawford — January 5, 2015 at 9:41 pm

How do I find out the nutritional value.

• Jessica replied: — January 10th, 2015 @ 12:32 pm

Hi Dawn, thanks for stopping by! I don’t post the nutritional value of the recipes I post so I’m not sure where you can find this info. You may be able to find a nutritional data website on Google that allow you to input this.

10. #
    C3 — January 28, 2015 at 10:16 pm

There’s another version of this floating around that you might equally love. It uses chia seeds, almond milk, greek yogurt, and oats. I can’t remember the proportions, but if you google refrigerator oatmeal or muesli, you’re sure to find it.

Anyways, that’s the base…then you can add fruits, or whatever else you’d like.

11. #
    yuri b — March 31, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Would I be able to substitute quick oats for the rolled oats/old fashioned oats?

• Jessica replied: — March 31st, 2015 @ 8:25 pm

Quick oats are fine, but be sure to reduce the liquid as they are much finer than regular oats.

12. #
    laila — April 2, 2015 at 2:33 am

This might sound dumb, but is yogurt absolutely necessary? Like is it possible to make these with just milk?

• Jessica replied: — April 2nd, 2015 @ 7:16 am

Not a dumb question at all. You are welcome to use just milk if you don’t have any yogurt on hand. I like using yogurt as a thickener and a flavour base, but substituting more milk is fine.

13. #
    Brenda — April 10, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Would this recipe work with steel cut oats?

• Jessica replied: — April 11th, 2015 @ 9:47 am

Steel cut oats are fine, however be prepared for a good jaw workout as it will be very chewy compared to using regular oats. Be sure to add an extra tablespoon or two of milk, either before or after the overnight part, as the mixture will also be a little drier.

14. #
    Heather — April 28, 2015 at 11:42 am

How much is a 100 gram of yogurt??

• Jessica replied: — May 5th, 2015 @ 9:39 pm

If you are unable to buy 100g individual sized cups, you can use about 1/4 cup of yogurt. Feel free to play around with the measurements.

15. #
    Jill — May 5, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Is this supposed to be warm? Do we warm it up in the microwave before we eat it??

• Jessica replied: — May 5th, 2015 @ 9:37 pm

Overnight oats are normally meant to be eaten cold. I’ve never tried heating it up.

16. #
    Kayla — May 11, 2015 at 11:59 am

Hi !! I was wondering what size this jar was ?

17. #
    Katie — May 11, 2015 at 6:18 pm

I love this idea as I’m always running late in the morning and I, too, have to catch a 7 AM bus (NOT okay). Just had one question – if you leave these in the fridge for more than 6 hours/one overnight, do the oats get mushy? Wondering how many weekday mornings’ worth I could prepare on a Sunday night, for example. Thanks!

18. #
    Kristen — May 22, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Having JUST moved into my first apartment and living on a food budget – I’m so excited to try this! Honestly, I don’t have a pot to make hot instant oatmeal and came across this! Thank you very much! :)

IG @Kristenbasore215

19. #
    Shelley — May 27, 2015 at 7:31 pm

im sorry I just have to mention how crazy some of these questions are. You did a great job simply stating how to make this and people are asking questions about such common sense things like nutrition values. – read your labels! Do I heat it? – only if you like warm yogurt! You are very sweet to not say something and just answer their questions. It must be very frustrating. People have minds, and imaginations. They should use them like you did by coming up w this. But… Do the oats get that soggy texture or the regular oatmeal texture? Hope that wasn’t dumb. Lol.

20. #
    Alexandra — June 5, 2015 at 4:10 pm

If anyone was wondering about preparing in advance…. I make three days worth at a time. Although if I know I’m going to be strapped for time later I go ahead and mix the yogurt, milk, chia seeds and then add my topping and oats a night ahead. This keeps you prepared but no mushy oats! My fav toppings are blueberries with maple syrup! and I use Greek yogurt for the protein and almond milk!

21. #
    Penny — June 18, 2015 at 6:02 am

Had these for breakfast this morning and they were yummy. So filling too. Thanks for sharing! x

22. #
    SILVIA — June 19, 2015 at 11:00 pm

Pears or apples give this recipe a great flavor! When I use these two fruits, I also add cinnamon and walnuts. Can’t get enough of it- Yummy!

23. #
    Bookworm — June 28, 2015 at 8:10 am

Adding the oats overnight hadn’t occured to me, but one other money saving tip is that frozen berries are often cheaper than fresh, so I put some in plain yoghurt overnight to make breakfast. Keen to try mixing oats with the yoghurt now!

24. #
    Paula Zumaeta — July 1, 2015 at 12:21 am

En cuanto a las semillas de Chía. Se puede agregar estos al principio de todo, es decir, la noche anterior? Ya que lo recomendable siempre es consumir las semillas de Chía cuando están ya remojadas en algún líquido y no así solos sin remojarse

25. #
    Cathryn — July 11, 2015 at 12:51 pm

I make this for my super picky seven year old and she loves it. It makes life so much easier when school is in session and there is not time to try to be making eggs to order and whatever other accompaniments when there are four of us trying to be out the door by seven-thirty. And school meals are just a joke. A mini bagel in the morning and then three dried out chicken nuggets and a quarter cup of fruit cocktail is supposed to power them through the day? Please. The many variations of this recipe will be a twice daily staple at my house. :-)

26. #
    Shauna — August 1, 2015 at 6:02 am

How about Fromage blanc? Would that work, I am in France, but really want to try this now and it’s what I have in the fridge 😛

27. #
    Tori — August 1, 2015 at 9:45 am

This is one of my breakfast faves! I too prepare a big batch at the start of the week and then transfer individual portions to a small tupperware to take with me to work. If the weather is cold, I liked to heat the portion in the microwave and then add in a spoon of crunchy peanut butter, chopped up apples and some chopped up nuts, maybe a dash of honey if I needed it to taste a bit sweeter. Another flavour is adding shredded coconut and chopped up dried prunes- good combo and healthy!!

28. #
    Louise — August 4, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Hi Jessica — I’ve prepared this numerous times for my husband’s breakfast which he eats when he gets to work, and he loves it. Everytime I get out the little container, he knows I’m preparing it for him the night before and gets excited already. I usually use bananas and strawberries for the fruits, and I sometimes vary the taste by getting flavoured yogurts like vanilla-flavoured or honey-flavoured, or putting in chocolate milk in lieu of fresh milk just to keep things interesting.

• Jessica replied: — September 14th, 2015 @ 5:59 pm

Hi Louise. Glad to hear your husband is enjoying it!

29. #
    Tayla — August 12, 2015 at 11:30 pm

love it!!!! How many calories would you say this is??

30. #
    VIRGINIA — August 14, 2015 at 2:11 am

How many servings are in this recepie

31. #
    Veronika — September 30, 2015 at 7:38 am

It is great! However, I never know whether I will have time to eat my breakfast, so I preapare it in the morning. Just pour hot water on very fine flakes when you get up. Before you are dressed, it will be soft and ready for yoghurt and fruits. :-)