Easy Yogurt Overnight Oats

Easy Yogurt Overnight Oats

As an early (not by choice) riser, I’m a big believer in having a good breakfast to start my day. As much as I would love to have a proper sit down breakfast each morning, I’m usually strapped for time. Once I get up, shower, get dressed, pack my lunch and make sure I have everything ready for the day (such as my gym bag for days I hit the gym after work), I usually only have about 10 minutes to make/eat my breakfast and enjoy a cup of coffee before I catch my 7:03am bus (ugh) to the subway station.

Since my morning time is so limited, I’m also a big believer in getting as much ready as I can the night before. I usually get my lunch ready while I’m making supper and I try to pack my gym bag while I’m brushing my teeth. Now that the weather is starting to warm up, I’ve started to re-introduce yogurt overnight oats into my breakfast routine. This saves even more time because all the prep happens the night before and I get to wake up to ready-made, cold and creamy oats that I can decorate with different nuts, fruit and spices. The great thing is that overnight oats are super portable and on days where I’m really running late, they can be made in a mason jar or portable Tupperware container and thrown in my bag with a spoon. A nice, healthy, and cheaper alternative to waiting in line at Tim Horton’s every morning!

Easy Yogurt Overnight Oats

Right now, my favourite toppings for overnight oats are strawberries, chia seeds and a quick dash of cinnamon, but I’m sure this will change when more fruit is in season.

Easy Yogurt Overnight Oats 1 serving

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 6 - 8 hours - (Overnight in Fridge)

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup old-fashioned or rolled oats, uncooked
  • 100 gram yogurt cup, any flavour
  • 3 tbsp milk

Suggested Toppings

• fresh fruit
  • chia seeds
  • chopped nuts
  • cinnamon

Directions:

1. In a small bowl, Tupperware container or mason jar, stir together uncooked old-fashioned or rolled oats, yogurt and milk. Cover and place in your fridge for a minimum of 6 hours to let the oats soak up some of the liquid.
  2. Remove from fridge and add desired fruit, nuts and spices. If the oats are too thick for your liking, feel free to add an extra tablespoon of milk.

Easy Yogurt Overnight Oats

Pin It

11 Responses to “Easy Yogurt Overnight Oats”

1. #
    Jennifer — April 28, 2014 at 5:29 pm

I read this post while I was eating peanut butter & banana VOO, lol. It’s that time of year! So Delicious coconut yoghurt is really good in overnight oats.

2. #
    Elaine C — December 4, 2014 at 11:35 pm

is it absolutely necessary to add the milk? i don’t tolerate milk, but i want to try this with lactose free yogurt! would it just be thicker consistency? thanks in advance!

• Jessica replied: — December 6th, 2014 @ 11:25 am

The milk isn’t necessary, but the oats will be thicker if you just use yogurt. To thin it out, I would add a tablespoon of water.

3. #
    Melissa — December 5, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I’m sure soy milk or lactose free milk will be fine.

4. #
    Ysay — December 6, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Do you need to cook the oats? Or you just put them in uncooked?

• Jessica replied: — December 6th, 2014 @ 9:27 pm

The oats need to be uncooked and they will soften overnight. I fixed this in the recipe. :)

5. #
    Riddly — December 7, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Traditional Swiss way (I’m told) soak the oats in a little water, you can mix in typical muesli ingredients too… Then layer with the youghurt and a big spoonful of toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds- drizzle of honey and no hunger pangs for four hours or so……

6. #
    Gin — December 8, 2014 at 4:56 am

Would greek yogurt be just as good? Have you tried this?

• Jessica replied: — December 8th, 2014 @ 1:54 pm

Hi Gin! I have tried greek yogurt with great success. The end result will be thicker than using regular yogurt, so I recommend stirring in extra milk before letting the oats sit overnight.

7. #
    Yune — December 8, 2014 at 5:44 pm

OMG! You have no idea how much I love this. Like you my mornings are very limited, but I also like to save money by no eating greasy unhleathy food in the street. Please share more things like this! ;D

• Jessica replied: — December 16th, 2014 @ 10:13 pm

Glad you like the recipe! :)