Blackberry Muffins with Lemon Glaze April 13, 2013
Step 1: Make delicious muffins.
Step 2: Take photos of delicious muffins. Eat some of the extra glaze with your finger because no one is looking.
Step 3: Go to write a blog posting on delicious muffins with your sticky fingers. Proceed to draw a blank……
That last step has been the best way to sum up the last few days here (minus the sticky fingers, that was only the first day). Every time I’ve found the time to sit and stare at these photos, my fingers do nothing. I remember exactly how easy these muffins were to make, how fantastic they tasted with the lemon glaze and how convenient they have been to include in our weekday breakfasts, yet when I’m facing the computer screen my mind is wiped clean.
Maybe its because of the other things that have been occupying my mind, like how its April and for some reason Toronto is experiencing a freezing rainstorm. Or that it’s April, so we should file our taxes. Or how it’s suddenly April and we’re four months away from our wedding (eek!). Our invites were mailed out this week, so at least that is one major thing checked off the list.
Besides the usual wedding planning and weather complaining, we’re also in the process of planning our honeymoon. Since Trevor and I aren’t really lay-on-the-beach-type people, we’ve been thinking about doing a trip to New York City. With so many museums, film locations, and restaurants, we figured this kind of trip would appeal to us the most. Most people are shocked that in the years that we have lived in Toronto, we’ve never found the time to make this trip. We also haven’t found time to visit Montreal either, but it’s all in due time. With that being said, I would love to hear suggestions on good places to visit and eat at in New York City. We have a list started already, but suggestions are always welcome.
Until then, I guess I’ll keep putting up with this crazy April weather. At least now that I’ve made muffins for breakfast, I’ll get to sleep in a bit longer.
Blackberry Muffins with Lemon Glaze 12 muffins
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp butter/margarine, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk (I used 1 cup Almond Breeze and 1 tsp apple cider vinegar)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350*F. Prepare your muffin tin with baking liners or greasing with a non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Make a well and add the beaten egg, melted butter/margarine, and buttermilk*. Stir until just mixed. Carefully fold in blackberries.
- *Note: if you are making your own buttermilk like I did, make this first and let sit while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Evenly divide the muffin batter into the prepared cups and bake for 12 - 15 minutes until the tops are brown. Let cool for a moment before removing from muffin pan.
- As the muffins are cooling on a wired rack, prepare the lemon glaze by mixing together the icing sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle the glaze over the muffins with a spoon.
Recipe adapted from Annie's Eat