Nutty Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins December 1, 2012
I had every intention to have my first December post be a holiday recipe. I even have one stored away as a draft, just waiting to be published.
But then I made these muffins.
December what? Christmas who?
Next week, I’ll post a holiday recipe and join the rest of the internet blogging world in celebrating the month of December. But for now, I have to share this recipe. The shredded zucchini keeps these muffin moist and the combination of chocolate chips and nuts add a fantastic, wholesome crunch. By making these muffins with whole wheat pastry flour, you could almost call them healthy.
Nutty Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins 12 muffins
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup finely grated zucchini (roughly 1 medium sized zucchini)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 1/4 cup nuts (either chopped pecans or walnuts)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350*F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, brown sugar, egg and vanilla until the mixture is thick and smooth. With a wooden spoon, stir in grated zucchini.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add dry mixture to wet mixture. Gently fold in nuts and chocolate chips.
- Prep your muffin baking pan with paper liners and fill the cups 2/3 full of batter. Bake for 10-15 minutes until your muffins are set and the tops spring back when gently touched.
Recipe adapted from Pastry Affair