Sweet Potato Apple Spiced Cake….er Loaf
Yes, there is yam (or as I like to call it “sweet potato”) in this loaf. Don’t let it fool you though, this loaf is very yummy and very moist. I’m always on the look-out for awesome ways to get more veggies into my diet! 🙂
So I recently purchased an iPod Touch and it’s probably safe to say that I’ve gone a little “app crazy.” My favourite free apps are the foodie ones, especially when there are free recipes involved.
That is where this little gem of a recipe comes in.
My current favourite app is the one from Whole Foods. You can search a large database and narrow down your choices to what course your meal is (ie: breakfast, lunch, etc), special category (ie: budget meals, one pot, etc) and then dietary restrictions (ie: dairy free, vegan, etc). You can search recipes based on what items you have on hand, make grocery lists and even save your favourite recipes. The pictures are beautiful and the best thing about it is that even if you don’t have an iPod/iPhone, you can still find the same recipes on their website.
Now I don’t live close to a Whole Foods store, but I’m able to still pick up the same ingredients at other stores, like Bulk Barn. I also didn’t have a grater on hand to grate the apples and sweet potato properly, but I had patience and a knife, so I went forward anyways.
Lastly, I made the cake in a loaf pan, even though the recipe called for an 8×8 square pan, because I didn’t read it right and didn’t want to waste my already-been-sprayed pan.
I may have also only added a dash of salt instead of the required 1/2 tsp, but that’s okay, I don’t feel bad about reducing my salt intake. (I may have also been checking my twitter when I was making this).
Despite all my misreadings, this cake turned out amazing and I highly recommend trying out this recipe!
Sweet Potato Apple Spiced Loaf
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 (3/4-pound) sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray your loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and set aside.
- In a second large bowl, whisk together sugar and egg until well combined. Stir in apple, sweet potato, vanilla and walnuts and then add apple mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan and bake until cake pulls away from the edges and is deep golden brown, 40 – 50 minutes 35 minutes. Set aside to let cool and then cut into slices and serve.
Recipe adapted from Whole Foods Market Recipes