Strawberry Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pancakes
I feel like a broken record when I talk about how quiet I’ve been here. Lots of baking and cooking has been going on in the background, but nothing blog-worthy or anything that I could call my own until now.
In April, I felt a little burnt out from cooking until we did some major spring cleaning. I went through my cookbook collection, pulled out my favourites and placed them in a high-traffic, visible spot near our couch. The move to the couch has been great because I sometimes get restless when watching TV and flipping through cookbooks are a great alternative to playing mindless games on my iPad. As a result, our meals have had a lot more variety and I actually look forward to spending time in the kitchen again. I highly recommend this method if anyone feels like they are in a rut and don’t know what to make for supper. It’s also been great for planning ahead for breakfasts in the morning and for packing lunches for work.
Besides de-cluttering, we’ve also been busy with condo renovations. If you follow me on Snapchat, I posted a couple behind-the-scenes photos of our exciting bedroom and closet repainting during May long weekend. Our bedroom is tiny, so in order to complete the job in four days (Trevor had an extra day off), we moved our bed and dresser into the living room. Having our bed right next to the living room TV felt very hotel-like, but it definitely had gotten old by the time Tuesday rolled around and I was happy to have my living room space back again. After spending all of the long weekend painting, it was also very nice to have a short work week and last weekend we finally got outside and enjoyed the nice weather.
One great thing about the nice weather is that all the fruit/vegetable markets are starting up again and I’m slowly getting into the routine of eating more produce. Green smoothies are back into regular rotation (yay!) and I’ve gotten into the habit of cutting up carrots, strawberries and watermelon to snack on.
I was feeling a little decadent one Sunday morning, so I used some leftover strawberries to whip up these strawberry chocolate chip oatmeal pancakes. Warm, fluffy pancakes covered in maple syrup are always a win in my weekend, especially when filled with juicy strawberries and rich chocolate.
Make sure you also check out the other wonderful recipes from our strawberry recipe collaboration below! You can also find them all on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest using the hashtag #CdnFoodCreatives.
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pancakes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp melted butter/margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped strawberries
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, rolled oats, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, measure the milk and beat in the egg and vanilla. Add melted butter/margarine to milk/egg/vanilla mixture and pour into flour bowl. Add chocolate and strawberries and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Preheat your pan or skillet to medium heat. Apply butter or non-stick cooking spray if required.
- Ladle out individual 1/4 to 1/3 cups of batter onto the heated pan. Flip the pancakes when the surface bubbles have popped and the edges are lightly cooked. Continue cooking until the other side is a light brown.
- Remove pancakes from heat and serve immediately with your choice of toppings. I recommend real maple syrup and more strawberries.
Lightly adapted from Irma S. Rombauer & Marion Rombauer Becker’s The Joy of Cooking
- Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries by Food Mamma
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Covered Strawberries by 365 Days of Easy Recipes
- Rituals + Strawberry, Rhubarb, Ginger Shrub by Eating Niagara
- Roasted Beet & Strawberry Salad by A Pretty Life
- Simple Macerated Strawberries by She Loves Biscotti
- Strawberry Cheesecake Popsicles by Homemade & Yummy
- Strawberry Ice Cream with Drunken Rhubarb by Sugarlovespices
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble with Toasted Almonds by Crumb Kitchen
- Strawberry-Rhubarb Streusel Buns by Crumb: A Food Blog
- Strawberry Rolls with Basil Cream by The Cinnamon Scrolls
- Strawberry Shortcake with Lavender Lemon Cream by My Kitchen Love
- Strawberry Streusel Shortbread Bars by The Bluenose Baker
- Strawberry Vanilla Cream Tart by Tiny Sweet Tooth
- Yogurt Cake with Roasted Strawberries and Rhubarb by Making Healthy Choices
I too put my cookbooks and food magazines close to our couch so I can flip through them at night…I used to do this so much more before I started blogging and I miss it!
Thank you for sharing your pancake recipe…we have pancakes every Saturday morning and we’re always looking for new recipes. This one looks delicious!
Pingback: Strawberry Streusel Shortbread Squares – Bluenose Baker
Pingback: Strawberry Cheesecake Popsicles | Homemade & Yummy
These sound great! I’m always on the hunt for more things to put in my pancakes (I got bored of regular ol’ pancakes real quick a few years ago, haha). I never thought of adding strawberries! Thanks for sharing, Jessica! 🙂
Oh my…these are perfect for the weekend brunch get togethers. I can see a lot of these being made during strawberry season. Thanks for the the great recipe!!
Pingback: #113 - Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Covered Strawberries - 365 Days of Easy Recipes
My daughter and I love to make pancakes together on the weekend. This is great, now we have another pancake recipe ! Thanks for sharing !
Pingback: Strawberry Shortcake with Lavender Lemon Cream - My Kitchen Love
Pingback: Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel Buns - Crumb: A Food Blog
These pancakes sound awesome… You can never go wrong with chocolate and strawberries together, and these pancakes are no exception to that rule. The only thing missing is a big ol’ dollop of whipped cream. 🙂
Just the thing to celebrate a freshly painted bedroom, if you ask me!
I’m glad you’re back in the kitchen! These look delicious! Chocolate and strawberries …. So good!
Oh gosh these are adorable! I can’t believe how cute these little stacks look. Plus oatmeal, chocolate chips AND strawberries? I’m salivating over here.
So good to hear you guys have been making progress on your renovation! I’m sure it looks fantastic. 🙂
One can never have enough pancake recipes… definitely planning to try these! Thanks for sharing 🙂
This looks delicious and so healthy! 🙂 thanks for sharing!
Pingback: Strawberry Beet Salad - A Pretty Life In The Suburbs
OMG! Thank you, thank you, thank you! the exact recipe I was looking for. Followed the recipe exactly. THEY WERE THE BEST PANCAKES I HAVE EVER MADE! SO DELICIOUS!! 🙂 YUM.
Pingback: cheesecake stuffed strawberries - Food Mamma
Pingback: Yogurt Cake with Roasted Strawberries and Rhubarb - Making Healthy Choices
Thank you for sharing your pancake recipe.!