Vegan Walnut & Chocolate Chip Cookies
These are Trevor’s favourite cookies, for more reasons than one. Since they don’t have milk in them, he can eat them whenever he pleases without suffering the consequences of his lactose intolerance. They also don’t have eggs in them so we are able to save the eggs for more important things, like breakfast (our favourite meal of the day). Lastly, since they are so easy to whip up in a moments notice, I tend to make them more often than any other recipe and he is able to enjoy them more frequently.
This recipe is loosely adapted from Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero’s wildly popular cookbook Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. I bought this book from Chapters from a gift card I got from my birthday in hopes of finding more dairy-free dessert recipes that Trevor could also enjoy. I’m not against consuming dairy and eggs, but I definitely don’t like being stuck eating all my baking myself.
While I love their cookbook, the one thing I found a little disappointing was their excessive use of other dairy-free milks in their recipes. Even though we always have a healthy stock of almond milk on hand, I was hoping to find some more creative recipes that didn’t involve any milk at all. If anyone has any books or websites to suggest, that would be greatly appreciated! 🙂
The first recipe in their cookbook is the every popular “Chocolate Chip Cookie,” and when I purchased it, this was the first one I tried out. They were good, but ever since then I’ve made various modifications to suit our preferences.
The secret to the awesomeness of these cookies is whisking the brown sugar, almond milk and oil together for a few minutes before mixing it with the dry ingredients. This caramelizes the oil and brown sugar together and really adds an extra richness to the cookies.
Vegan Walnut & "Chocolate" Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan carob “chocolate chips”
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Whisk together the brown sugar, oil, almond milk, vanilla and 1 tbsp flour. You should do this for about a 1 1/2 minutes until the mixture is caramelized.
- Add half of the flour, baking soda and salt and mix well. Add the remaining 1 cup of flour, vegan “chocolate chips” and walnuts and mix well until no more flour is visible. The batter will be slightly greasy due to the oil and this is normal.
- Drop mounds approximately 1 1/2 tbsp in size on a greased baking sheet. Slightly flatten the dough to ensure the cookie will be cooked evenly.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes until the edges are a golden brown. Leave on the baking sheet to cool for one minute before transferring to a wired rack to cool. Store in an air-tight container.
Recipe adapted from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar