Perfect Weekend – Lemon Blueberry Scones
It’s been one of those awesome weekend, where everything just clicks and seems perfect. I don’t know if it was the yoga I forced my body to endure, the coffee I find myself enjoying again, spending time with friends/family we haven’t seen in a while, the new music I’ve discovered or the better eating habits (I’ve been cutting red meat of out my diet and I feel amazing), but this weekend has been a blast.
So I figured I had to keep on making it perfect by baking some scones.
I love scones because they are very versatile. You can slather them with butter, jam or glaze. You can enjoy them with tea or coffee. These taste great warm and even more amazing the next day, if they can last that long. You can add fruit, nuts, seeds, and spices depending on the flavour you are looking for.
This scone recipe I made doesn’t contain eggs, which is good for those with egg-allergies and I made some healthy switches so Trevor could eat them as well.
Lemon Blueberry Scones
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter/margarine
- 1/2 cup milk
- Juice of a whole lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter/margarine with a pastry cutter until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Mix milk, lemon juice and grated lemon together in a separate bowl and add to main mixture. Gently knead on a flat surface 5 times and place back into bowl. Very gently, fold in blueberries.
- Form dough into 12 small balls (or triangles) on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly brown. Blueberries will ooze and this is completely normal.
Recipe modified from Allrecipes.com
Enjoy the rest of this fabulous weekend everyone!